Thursday, June 17, 2010

6.17.10 Sonogram


NOTE: For those of you reading this who are MD's, please skip to the next paragraph. The terminology was a little confusing to me, but the doctors cleared this up: the old hardened blood clots that never dissolved actually turn into scar tissue, so when I talk about the doctors cutting out the scar tissue, this is the residual clot tissue from the events that occurred in 2005.

Yesterday Nicholas had a sonogram of his legs, where, many of you may remember, he also had clotting. There was no evidence of residual clots in that area, consequently, a filter that they were going to surgically place today was not required! Nicho has had his share of surgeries, so I am sure he doesn't feel cheated! For those of you that don't know about a filter, this is like a miniature umbrella frame that they place in the vein/artery to catch break-away clots. In this case, they would have placed it to prevent break-away tissue from reaching the heart or brain as the surgery disrupts the tissue. (I feel like I should put a disclaimer here, that I am not a doctor, and this is my summarized interpretation of what is occurring in Nick's case, so please don't rely on my explanation should you come across this again in the future)

Every day, Nick looks forward to the simple things in life and enjoys them with zest. I love this about him! I've posted a picture from just after (YES, I said *after*) his heart catherterization. I think he actually enjoyed it!

1 comment:

  1. It's great that he's got such a positive attitude. Thanks so much for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete